Hello Jim,

On Tue, Jul 20, 2021 at 11:19:16AM -0400, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> I thought that more recent systems were what the 4.2.x... branch was for.

Yes, but an attempt to build today's stable AOO (i.e. 4.1.10) on
today's hardware is probably the first thing a new developer would
try.

Or, at least, that's what I did in the first place when I wanted to
fix some bugs some time ago. And what I am trying to do now, being new
to macOS. I see a bug in the software I am using today and I want to
fix _that_, if I can.

As soon as we declare AOO41X old and deprecated I will be happy to
forget about it. :-)

Are you suggesting that _all_ our efforts shall rather be driven
towards stabilizing 4.2.0 instead?

> > On Jul 19, 2021, at 10:46 AM, Arrigo Marchiori <ard...@yahoo.it.INVALID>
> > wrote:
> >
> > Hello Jim,
> >
> > On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 10:14:03AM -0400, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> >
> >> What is wrong w/ using the build stuff that we have used for years?
> >
> > The oldest system I have on my hands now is our shared Mini with
> > Catalina. I tried to install Xcode 7 there, but it did not seem to
> > work.
> >
> > I thought that allowing more recent systems to build AOO41X could help
> > the overall development of AOO. Given the fact that no edits to the
> > code were necessary, I am proposing this set of changes.
> >
> > The fact that Calc charts disappear from this build is IMHO
> > encouraging, because it gives more people (including myself) the
> > possibility to look into this problem.
> >
> > The goal of these changes must be to allow newer systems to build
> > AOO41X, but without breaking things in any way for the _current_
> > accepted configuration. Unfortunately, I cannot test that, so I must
> > rely on someone else's tests.
> >
> > _If_ we are interested, of course! If not... I just learned something
> > about macOS. :-) Same as my previous attempt at updating the Visual
> > Studio version, that ended up with just me learning some Windows
> > development.
> >
> > I hope I could explain myself clearly. Any comments/criticism
> > are welcome!

> > [...]
> >
> > --
> > Arrigo