Hello,

I'm writing in the hope the dev team will take notice of my feedback, and hopefully change the instructions for novice Linux users who are not geeks, have no intention of ever becoming one and would appreciate installations as easy as clicking on an exe file, especially if they've migrated from Windows, which is the case for many people as Linux is still not widely known, and if people have heard of it, the perception is it's by geeks for geeks, which your instructions confirm!

"2. cd into the DEBS or RPMS subdirectory of the installation directory.
You should see a lot of debs here and one sub-directory called "desktop-integration"."

A novice new to Linux is unlikely to know what "cd" means, nor what he/she is supposed to do and even less how to get to the DEBS or RPMS directory as was my case in the beginning! Having to spend hours trying to understand what such instructions mean will more than likely result in them giving up, or try a different app with more user-friendly installation, or use the one included in whichever distro they've opted for, which nowadays is predominantly Libre Office, which is what I ended up doing for a long time.

A much easier way to install quickly and effortlessly is by using "Discover", which should be the default installation app in all distros!

Here is all a novice has to do for Linux DEB-based installation:

1. download Apache OpenOffice tar.gz package;
2. extract all files in the tar.gz package with Ark (easily installed with Discover) and select "open destination folder after extraction"; 3. open "DEBS" then "desktop-integration" double click on "openoffice4.1-debian-menus_4.1.12-9809_all" this will automatically launch Discover; 4. click on "install" enter root password, OpenOffice will appear in Application Menu "Office" ready for use, simple!

I don't know whether this method works with non DEB-based distros as I've never used such distros...