On 18 Dec 2006 11:46:35 +0100, Thorsten Behrens
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I'd say let's add the rule then. I'm relatively indifferent about
this, though - if people think it's ok to start removing external
header guards right now (because it will take years to clean them up
anyway), I'd be fine with that, too.

I'm personally *not* in favor of external header guards, though I
totally understand the benefit of reducing the build time by doing so.

Several C++ books I've read seem to be split on this particular
practice; I believe Herb Sutter is moderately against external header
guards because they reduce readability and are not necessary for the
reason Kai already mentioned, while in C++ Common Knowledge by Stephen
Dewhurst, this practice is still recommended.

I personally don't like this, because if we start following this rule
for every header we include, the header include section of each source
file would start to look ugly, and I'd trade tidiness of source files
for a slight inefficiency in build time.

So, -1 for external header guards.

Kohei