On Fri, Apr 27, 2007 at 12:50:31PM +0200, Mathias Bauer wrote:
> Thorsten Ziehm wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > could this the starting point that QA have to set CWS back to the CWS
> > owner, when a result of tinderbox is red? Then I will add this
> > information to the Wiki page and will link it to the QA CWS approval
> > process.
>
> No, please don't do so. First some requirements must be met, my personal
> POV is:
>
> (1) If a tinderbox build is "red" it must be possible to find out the
> reason within minutes, possibly with one or two mouse clicks.

It is three clicks.
EIS -> see the red status -> click on the tinderbox link  (1)
on thinderbox page -> click on "l L C" to open the popup  (2)
Within the popup -> click on "Summary log" (or full log)  (3)

You might need four, but then the devs or QA wasted quite a bit of
time... (additional click(s) to go back in time on the tinderbox page)

> (2) If the reason for the "red" state is that the build broke because of
> a machine or infrastructure problem it should be ignored.

Yes.

> (3) It the reason is a "real" build error the error message must be
> easily accessible.

See above.

> (4) The developer that fixed the error must be able to restart the
> tinderbox build immediately to get a result in an acceptable time frame.

Nope, I disagree. This is not a must.
1st of all: It shouldn't be flagged ready for QA if it breaks in the
first place, so dev doesn't need to wait until it is rejected by QA
before having a look at the logs
2nd: dirty cws (those with commits) are requeued automatically
3rd: tinderbox/buildbot use anoncvs. There's always a delay
4th: If you really need an immediate rebuild, you can use buildbot or
ask the tinderbox admin (is listed at the top of the logs)
5th: builds take about 4 hours, so you surely wait and watch, but start
the build and come back the next day anyway...

> [...]
> For me a process that rejects CWS with "red" tinderbox build does not
> meet these quality requirements at the moment.

Would you agree on rejecting CWS that break the build on one of the
tracked platforms?
(so not focus on the status and whether it is a false positive or not)

ciao
Christian
--
NP: Apocalyptica - Welcome Home (Sanitarium)