This is an interesting problem I found with OOo 3.0RC2 and Ubuntu 8.04
I already had installed OOo 2.4.1 from Ubuntu repositories.
I installed OOo 3.0RC2 from the DEB file I downloaded from www.openoffice.org.

The first time I run the program, it asked if I wanted to trnasfer settings from previous intallations, and I answered yes.

Then I couldn't open or create any document except for Base documents. Then from an opend Base document, I could open or create other documents.

Another thing was in BASIC, where the StarDesktop global variable was not present.

I tried this behaviour in 3 different installation of Ubuntu 8.04 and I found out that in the one that these problems didn't appear, was a fresh installation that I havn't ran any OOo 2.4.1 program before, so there wasn't any settings to transfer to 3.0RC2.

So I removed OOo 3.0RC2 from the other two computers and installed it again, answering not to transfer any settings from previous installations.

All the problems solved!

This is a strange bug. I think the developers must have a look at this before the final release.

--
Manolis Christodoulou MD
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://mobi-doc.com