Kay,

Le Thu, 30 Apr 2009 10:29:47 +0200,
Kay Ramme <kay.ra...@sun.com> a écrit :

> OOo Folks,
>
> by now OOo has been regarded as the only real alternative office
> suite, sometimes hard to build, often admired for its feature
> completeness, somewhat beaten because of the memory footprint,
> understood to have one of the most classical graphical user
> interfaces ever, loved to recover MS documents, and so on ...
>
> Many words may be used for OOo, though small is not with them :-)
> OOo is a huge project, with lots of code and a more or less monolithic
> architecture. (Even :-) the ESC understands that size does not only
> has advantages (though it sometimes matters :-).
>
> (see http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/ESC_dashboard)
>
> It seems a hero (or five) is needed ... we (Cynthia, Xiuzhi, LiuTao,
> Ingo and I) want to move out to fill this position and therefore need
> your (mental) support ...
>
> ... we are not (yet) many copies, but we also have a plan, and we do
> look human etc. :-)
>
> The Goals are:
> - Adapt the OOo source to enable (more) custom-tailor products.
> - Support custom-tailor products in the build system by
>   - checking out what is needed only,
>   - building what is needed only,
>   - re-using intermediate or final deliverables.
> - Enable pre-build intermediates and their usage.
>
> And this is what we want to do first:
> - Create a "build helper", responsible for
>   - getting the source,
>   - getting prerequisites and pre-builds,
>   - configuring the sources, taking care of dependencies ...,
>   - and (optionally) building it.
> - Add missing/useful configuration switches (e.g. for headless
> support).
> - Re-factor according to needs (e.g. writer only etc.).
>
> This "build helper" may be compared to the Linux kernels menuconfig /
> xconfig, first configure it extensively, ideally in a graphical way,
> than build it.
>
> Later on we may
> - rework SCP to configure the sources more dynamically,
> - provide pre-build intermediates to reduce build times for many,
> - disentangle the OOo applications, and
> - do even more ...
>
> We would like to create a(nother) (incubator) project as the umbrella
> for our enterprise, which we would like to call
>
>              "Modularization"
>
> See http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Modularization for a
> first sketch.
>
> It may be important to mention, that we want to keep things SIMPLE.
> Please give feedback or show interest!, this is needed according to
> our rules.
>

> May the force be with you ... argh - wrong movie :-)

I have read the wiki pages, and while I'm all for this kind of vision,
I am not sure if I understood this correctly: modularization for you
seems to essentially takes place at the building level, and not so much
an  application level. This would mean, for instance, that we could
have several "sub-versions of OOo", but this would be different from
having an office suite with "modular" applications (with less common
dependencies, etc.). Am I getting this right or am I making things too
complex?

Anyway; you have my interest :-)

Best,
Charles.