One of my Test Cleanup (<http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Test_Cleanup>) efforts is to consistently use standard JUnit 4 for the Java-based tests in the OOo code base. It appears that JUnit is not yet a requirement in the OOo build environment, and I see different ways how to make it one:

1 Include JUnit 4 as an external module in the OOo code base, allowing some configure --with-system-junit switch to override it. We could include either

1.1 <http://sourceforge.net/projects/junit/files/junit/4.8.1/junit-4.8.1.jar/download> which, due to being platform-independent, can directly be used without any compilation (and appears to run fine on our Java 5 baseline),
or

1.2 <http://sourceforge.net/projects/junit/files/junit/4.8.1/junit4.8.1.zip/download> and build it.

2 Require JUnit 4 to be installed as a prerequisite, checked by configure. We could either

2.1 try to find it on CLASSPATH (which would imply that set_soenv.in must no longer resets the CLASSPATH; which is probably dubious, anyway---as dubious as the additional XCLASSPATH), or

2.2 require that an appropriate configure --with-junit=... switch is always passed (which would be optionally available in 2.1, too, to explicitly specify the JUnit 4 to be used).

Opinions?

-Stephan