On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 09:11:21 +0100
"Frank Schoenheit, Sun Microsystems Germany" <frank.schoenh...@sun.com>
wrote:

> - Developers should use non-product builds *only*. That's a very
>   apparent measure, still, a lot of people don't do. If you ask why,
>   often the answer is "it's unusable 'cause of the many assertions".
>   Hmm?

I am one of the devs that rarely use a non-pro build, but not because
"it's unusable 'cause of the many assertions", but because there are
simply to many differences from the product build in them, causing
issues (first of all: annoying build breakers). I do, however build
with DEBUG=true to see assertions.

On the topic of "what is an assertion": Yes, assertions should abort.
Otherwise, they are not an assertion, but something that is better
covered by OSL_TRACE.

BR,

Bjoern