On 02/12/10 17:54, bjoern michaelsen - Sun Microsystems - Hamburg Germany wrote:
On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 17:31:18 +0100
Christian Lippka <christian.lip...@sun.com> wrote:

If we make the office crash in non pro than there will be never a
chance to get the qa to work on non pro again.
Depends. If we make the master crash on tests in every milestone, sure.
As said before an aborting assertion should only be used for corrupt
internal state. If you notice a pointer to dead objects flying
around or invalidated iterators that are used it is _Good_ to crash on
non-pro, simply because continuing from there is pure luck (and its so
much more fun to debug if dead objects have devastated the program
state by a decent fandango on core).

If those disastrous states cannot be detected in the pro than ok for an additional ASSERT_ABORT, but as long as you can detect the disastrous states also in the normal product build, they should be handled there. Throw a normal exception from the normal product code. The calling code then can decide what to do with that exception.

Ingrid