On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 15:56:37 +0100
Stephan Bergmann <stephan.bergm...@sun.com> wrote:

> Re wincing at obviousness of matching range:  How is that any
> different for plain int (with INT_MIN--INT_MAX range) vs., say,
> sal_Int32 (with SAL_MIN_INT32--SAL_MAX_INT32 range)?

Because our interfaces consist of sal_* types and users of interfaces
might rely on the implicit guarantee that a component can handle the
full range of the type. Bugs because some code uses some odd 16 bit
integer internally are really annoying (and not as uncommon as one
might guess *cough* writer core *cough*). Of course, using sal_* types
internally does not solve the range problem (multiplying two sal_Int32
for example), but still ...

BR,

Bjoern

        • Re: [d... Eike Rathke
          • Re... Herbert Duerr
            • ... Thorsten Behrens
              • ... Herbert Duerr
              • ... bjoern michaelsen - Sun Microsystems - Hamburg Germany
              • ... Herbert Duerr
              • ... bjoern michaelsen - Sun Microsystems - Hamburg Germany
              • ... Michael Stahl
      • Re: [dev] ... Stephan Bergmann
        • Re: [d... Thorsten Behrens
        • Re: [d... bjoern michaelsen - Sun Microsystems - Hamburg Germany
      • Re: [dev] ... bjoern michaelsen - Sun Microsystems - Hamburg Germany
  • Re: [dev] Coding St... bjoern michaelsen - Sun Microsystems - Hamburg Germany