Stephan Bergmann wrote:
> >I wince when I read "obviously" in this context. I grant you the
> >pessimization argument, that's what I was alluding to with my loop
> >counter example - but still, except for the most simple cases, these
> >have a tendency to later spread their value's usage into surrounding
> >code. Let's stick with the default choice of "use the sal_* types",
> >unless there are more convincing arguments.
>
> Re wincing at obviousness of matching range:  How is that any
> different for plain int (with INT_MIN--INT_MAX range) vs., say,
> sal_Int32 (with SAL_MIN_INT32--SAL_MAX_INT32 range)?

Because it's at least consistently too small (_if_ it is too small).
;)

> >I think that causes more harm than benefit, and many extra
> >opportunities for subtle platform differences. Make up your mind
> >what range you want to support, and then choose a sal type.
>
> I see your point here, but am not entirely convinced.

Both my paragraphs boil down to defaulting to the Principle of Least
Surprise - in terms of algorithmic behaviour, not in terms of speed,
I admit. But if I have to choose, I'm personally certain which side
to pick (mind you, I'm still talking about general rules to put into
coding standards here, not about exceptions).

Cheers,

-- Thorsten