On 6/11/2010 1:14 PM, bjoern michaelsen - Sun Microsystems - Hamburg Germany wrote:

Hi all,
see
http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/make/Remaking-Makefiles.html#Remaking-Makefiles
for details:
"To this end, after reading in all makefiles, make will consider each as
a goal target and attempt to update it. If a makefile has a rule which
says how to update it (found either in that very makefile or in another
one) or if an implicit rule applies to it (see Using Implicit Rules),
it will be updated if necessary. After all makefiles have been checked,
if any have actually been changed, make starts with a clean slate and
reads all the makefiles over again. (It will also attempt to update
each of them over again, but normally this will not change them again,
since they are already up to date.)"

So this is done by including an not yet existing file and providing a
rule for it -- GNU make will take care of the rest.

OK, so you depend on gmake features. This might be an interesting thing to try with CMake some day. To generate a makefile that does not have recursion, but depends on gmake as the make processor. I will put that on the todo list. Right now CMake supports generic make. I would not be against a gmake only makefile generator being added to CMake. It would be an interesting experiment to see how this type of makefile compares for large and small projects.

-Bill