Stephanie,
There is an education project and they may be in the best place to help you, See for example
http://education.openoffice.org/
and on that page you will find a couple of email links to people who may be able to advise you on programming. I hope you will also get a response here from someone who knows how to get started with development in OOo. I don't know enough to give you all the right pointers, but you can certainly start from
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide
Being able to build Open Office on your own system is an essential first step, so you could get started with that while you research an area where you could contribute.

If you want to see a list of the things people are currently working on for the next release, see

http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/buglist.cgi?issue_status=NEW&issue_status=STARTED&issue_status=REOPENED&target_milestone=OOo+3.3&email1=&emailtype1=substring&emailassigned_to1=1&email2=&emailtype2=substring&emailreporter2=1&issueidtype=include&issue_id=&changedin=&votes=&chfieldfrom=&chfieldto=Now&chfieldvalue=&short_desc=&short_desc_type=substring&long_desc=&long_desc_type=substring&issue_file_loc=&issue_file_loc_type=substring&status_whiteboard=&status_whiteboard_type=substring&keywords=&keywords_type=anywords&field0-0-0=noop&type0-0-0=noop&value0-0-0=&cmdtype=doit&namedcmd=ireland&newqueryname=&order=Reuse+same+sort+as+last+time

Sorry, that's quite a long string! Whatever you choose to do may not be on that list, but it will give you a flavour of the kind of thing that happens.
Mike Hall