On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 2:52 AM, Stephanie Smith <stephsmi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> To Whom it May Concern,
>
> I am a student at the University of Ballarat, and am in my final semester of
> studies in a Bachelor of Applied Computing. Currently I am enrolled in the
> course "Open Source & Linux", and as part of our assessment we are required
> to contribute to an open source project in some way.

Great task. We really want to welcome this projects and help students
like yourself feel confortable learning about free and open source
software. Feel free to ask anything you need.

> I am primarily interested in software development, and throughout the
> duration of my degree I have focussed on taking programming courses. I have
> experience in a range of programming and scripting languages including C,
> C++, Java, C#, HTML, PHP, and SQL, among others. I use a MacBook, and run
> both Mac OS X and Windows 7.

That's great, OpenOffice.org runs on GNU/Linux, Solaris, Windows and
OSX. OpenOffice.org main languages are C++, Java, Python and Basic.

> I would really love the opportunity to contribute to OpenOffice, but am
> unsure as to what would be appropriate for me to do. Due to the constraints
> of my course I only have approximately 10 weeks, however I would be willing
> to continue working on the project after the completion of my course in
> order to complete my work to a high standard.

Please forward this email to d...@education.openoffice.org and join us
on IRC at #education.openoffice.org on Freenode. eric_b could help you
out getting setup your compile environment for OOo.

If you don't know about IRC, we have a brief introduction here:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/IRC_Communication

Regards.

--
Alexandro Colorado