I vote for ogr2ogr too! It is a tool i use for every GIS conversion possible.

OSGeo has officialy been accepted as Google Summer of Code mentoring organization. They have some ideas regarding GDAL/OGR, one of them being the read functions for KML.

Perhaps we can join forces to see if a project can be started for OSM read/write functions in ogr2ogr?

http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/2007_SoC_Merged_Ideas

Ludwig schreef:
I would strongly support the motion to implement this as an ogr2ogr module: it avoids duplication, is part of a framework, runs everywhere and is widely distributed and will thus have great potential of widening the user community of OSM data. There are modules that translate shapefiles into/from KML and doing a similar one for OSM XML should be not too difficult.

ogr2ogr will be less work with more impact -- and very welcome indeed.

Ludwig