Dear OpenStreetMappers, please read and provide feedback to this proposal. I find myself unable to assess the quality and newness.

Please CC [EMAIL PROTECTED] in your reply.

spaetz
--- Begin Message ---
Dear Sir,

I am an undergraduate student in computer engineering. I am currently
working on my final project "low cost GPS/GPRS based Tracking system." Main
target of my project is low cost and bundle fee free approach. Another
objective is to find out the possible areas where GPS can ease life. This is
for mass use of tracking moving objects and make available to the general
users in all over the world.

I am currently using Telit GM862-GPS module and Google map. Now understand
in many ways combination of GPS device and free online map can change our
life. I am very interested to work with you and contribute all of my little
knowledge, experience and effort for this project.

Problem:

Users may not always have system to see online maps. Specially when they are
on go and may have mobile phone or any embedded device. But the mobile may
not be capable of showing online maps. Moreover static map in a mobile
device will be far costly.

Possible Solution:
Relative Coordinate system:

If the user have a simple j2me supported mobile then they can easily find
the location of the GPS device (local or remote) by relative coordinates.
The GPS coordinates will be sent to Geo server and the server will calculate
and send the location comparing to well known places near to the device. The
location will be shown graphically. Please see the attached image as rough
example.

The mobile or embedded device software will have only signs. It will get
relative coordinates and data from the server. Then it will match the sign
and show the data graphically.

My idea may not be enough or may have lots of lacks. Please advise me for
proper and effective approach.

I will be waiting for you response and advice.

Thank you,

--
MD.MAHBUBUR RASHEED
(Captain___nemo)