My previous patch probably conflicts with
http://trac.openstreetmap.org/ticket/534 and
http://trac.openstreetmap.org/changeset/6562

which allows compressed (eg .gpx.gz) data usually served by
http://www.openstreetmap.org/trace/137465/data
to be served as uncompressed gpx xml if requested as
http://www.openstreetmap.org/trace/137465/data.xml

Why .xml extension instead of simply .gpx?
Can we link that in the trace detail page or is there a good reason for
not doing so?

Stefan