On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 1:03 PM, Iván Sánchez Ortega
<i...@sanchezortega.es> wrote:
> El Miércoles, 11 de Febrero de 2009, Raphaël Jacquot escribió:
>> > Jokes aside, does your bulk importer also implement populating the
>> > history tables, making sure that every node referenced by a way (and
>> > every node/way/relation referenced by a relation) actually exists, and
>> > all these totally useless integrity constraints?
>>
>> all this should be mostly handled by the db server with appropriate
>> foreign key constraints, not by the application code
>
> +1
>
> Rails guys: we're using InnoDB tables for a reason, you know.

yes - for transactions. the foreign keys are a plus, but they can't do
all the checking (relation_members, changeset timeouts, etc...).

also, it becomes a pain for the client to distinguish between a mysql
error because of an invalid foreign key reference, a mysql error
because of a server code bug and a mysql error because the db server
died or the network went down.

cheers,

matt