Frederik Ramm <frede...@remote.org> writes:

> Everything you say is true, but unless you have just joined the project
> you must be aware that the new license being contemplated - the Open
> Database License - rests heavily on the European idea of database
> rights, and tries to supplant them by a contract for jurisdictions that
> have no "sui generis" database protection.
>
> A contract of course requires agreement by those who are party to it
> before it can be of legal relevance.
>
> (Maybe you're reading this on dev and are unaware of the 1000+ postings
> in the previous year on legal-talk about the matter...?)

As a random data point, I read your note on talk but am not subscribed
to legal-t...@.  It would be nice to have a monthly summary of where the
licensing discussion is and a sense of what the debate is posted to
t...@.  It would particularly interesting to see the discussion around
expected impacts to free distribution of planet dumps.  Of course I
could join legal, but I think it's probably good for the health of the
project for everyone to see an abstract.