On Oct 2, 2009, at 9:16 AM, Radek Bartoň wrote:

> Hello everyone.
>
> First of all, I want to share with my two scripts for Mapnik
> rendering. First
> is a modified version of generate_tiles.py to use multithread
> rendering.

Radek,

Very interesting work!

Jon recently added threading to generate_tiles.py in svn as well:

http://trac.openstreetmap.org/changeset/17484

I would if you have compared your implementation yet?

> Second
> is a modified generate_image.py to generate large bitmap posters
> like [1,2]. It
> uses tiled rendering so it's possible to render very large areas
> with high
> DPI.

Were you running into limitations within Mapnik or just memory when
rendering large single images?

> Only limitation is that whole poster must fit into computer's memory
> during merging and texts drawing because I don't know any image
> rendering
> library which can draw to memory mapped files or such. See scripts'
> code and
> comments or ask for detailed information.

Great, I'll enjoy taking a look at this.
Cheers,

Dane