Hey

I believe with a good UI (eg when the client software detects a user is
going slower that expect

On Mar 24, 2010 8:35 PM, "Eric Marsden" <eric.mars...@free.fr> wrote:

> [...]

 pr> I have proposed a student project called "Incorporation of Traffic
 pr> Information and OpenStreetMap data"[1] , which has similar goals like
 pr> the integration of waze. But deals more with the server part of the
 pr> application and will be (of course) as open as openstreetmap is.

 Hi Peter,

 Your proposal is interesting, but given the technical challenges you
 will face, it seems overly optimistic to me. I'm also not convinced
 that many people would be sufficiently motivated to manually report
 transient information such as "roadworks here", so I think your focus
 should be on automated extraction of information from live GPS logs.

 I expect that matching poor quality GPS logs (think smartphones) to
 OSM data (without concern for the dynamic nature of this data), and
 generating information with sufficient confidence about missing ways,
 turn restrictions, missing or incorrect oneway tags would already be a
 good challenge. Generating information about traffic conditions would
 be another possibility, but with less direct utility to OSM.

 Concerning the matching of GPS logs, I suggest you read the paper
 "Hidden Markov Map Matching Through Noise and Sparseness"[1] and perhaps
 prior art from the CarTel project[2].

 [1] http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/jckrumm/
 [2] http://cartel.csail.mit.edu/doku.php

--