Some quick notes...

Had to create ../OSM-binary/src
Had to download the .proto files and move them into ../OSM-binary/src
Had to make ../external and ../external/lib

Make sure you have the newest version of protobuf-c.

After that, I was able to compile everything.  The 64bit compiled
version worked out of the gate.

Still haven't gone about comparing the output.