Hi,

Stefan de Konink wrote:
Allow people to pull from you instead of push them your (unreviewed)
code, as you do now with svn. Different mentality but generates a better
quality project overall.

Not what I want, because

(1) every project will have to have a maintainer who decideds what gets pulled into trunk - this introduces more formality than we have now;

(2) as a committer, I want it to be *my* decision whether I commit something right away - in cases where I'm sure it is good - or whether I want to discuss with others first. That's in keeping with the spirit of OSM where you don't have to ask for permission to edit the map.

(3) as a user, I will have to hunt through mailing lists and whatnot and compile the cryptic URLs of private repositories to pull from, rather than having a one-stop shop.

I can see git being useful for something like the Linux kernel, but I can't see advantages for OSM at the moment. The "different mentality" you speak of is probably what I object to; compared with a classic SVN project where you have only a handful of committers, git may offer more flexibility but compared with OSM where everyone gets SVN access...?

But as I said - it doesn't have to be either-or, you can go ahead with the cutting edge development on git and we can every now and then pull something workable into SVN, with a big README that says please apply changes to git only.

Bye
Frederik