On 2-11-2010 22:14, maw...@gmail.com wrote:

1. I have created a myOSM.xml stylesheet from the osm.xml template using:

generate_xml.py osm.xml myOSM.xml --dbname osm_planet --accept-none
--password pw --host localhost --port 5432 --user postgres

There is usually no need to generate a local copy of the osm.xml stylesheet. Generating a local copy includes all files from the inc/ directory into a single (monolithic) stylesheet file, but also means that every time that we update the stylesheet in svn, you have to rerun generate_xml.py in this way.

If you omit the "osm.xml myOSM.xml" part from your generate_xml.py call, it will only create 3 files in the inc/ directory based on the .template files there. You then point your tile generating script to osm.xml as the stylesheet. Updating the stylesheet is then also as easy as running svn up.

Did you read somewhere that you had to generate a local copy? Earlier versions of the most-used blog about setting up a mapnik rendering stack (hi rweait! :)) told you to do that, but I think that got corrected after pointing this out.

4. I then went to C:\mapnik-0.7.1\inc\fontset-settings.xml.inc and
uncommented the unifont lines as such:

That's fine.

5. I then opened the myOSM.xml and noticed that it only had listed the
DejaVu fonts at the top. I then added the unifonts as such:

And that's not surprising, for the reason I already mentioned: you generated a single file based on osm.xml and everything in inc/, and any changes you made after generate_xml.py didn't make it into your myOSM.xml.

--
Lennard