On Tue, 2010-11-02 at 23:47 +0100, Peter Körner wrote:
> Am 02.11.2010 23:44, schrieb Jon Burgess:
> > Have you tried any other settings? I suspect that many other common
> > encodings will not work so well (LATIN1, WIN1252 etc). We know UTF8
> > works and that is what we recommend everyone should use.
>
> No I didn't and I would advise everyone to creaate a new database with
> -E UTF-8 but now that the database is up and running, I don't know a way
> to change this without dropping and re-importing.

If the database cluster was initialized with a localized encoding when
initdb was run then you may not even be able to choose a different
encoding by creating a new DB:

"An important restriction, however, is that each database's character
set must be compatible with the database's LC_CTYPE and LC_COLLATE
locale settings. For C or POSIX locale, any character set is allowed,
but for other locales there is only one character set that will work
correctly. (On Windows, however, UTF-8 encoding can be used with any
locale.)"

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/multibyte.html

   Jon