realtime could be provided by such a thing as GEORSS
http://www.georss.org/Main_Page

where you show either, where the things SHOULD BE, or another feed
with where they have last been reported to have been.

mike

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 8:45 PM, Stefan de Konink <ste...@konink.de> wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Dec 2010, SteveC wrote:
>
>> Transiki is like OSM but stores magical transit data. It's approximately,
>> nearly, at 0.1. It looks and feels very similar to OSM internally. It's
>> written in rails, it's API looks similar and so on. You can think of it as a
>> baby OSM.
>>
>> I'm a little overwhelmed and haven't had the time to review patches sent
>> in, update the site etc.
>>
>> So, if you are a rails person or want to be and have a couple of hours
>> please have a look at transiki. Anyone contributing will be sent an I Love
>> You bean.
>
> If it is like OSM then I think you are focussing on static data. Hence it
> would be as non-innovative as Google Transit. For a Dutch variant OpenOV.nl
> (Open Public Transport) we go beyond static data, we go for realtime
> positioning and sharing this information using open standards and open
> protocols.
>
> This data is available as well for many governments, transit providers,
> etc.. And best of all, we are only a HUB to the data.
>

> So I hope people realise that they can request the same data as Google does.
> And going realtime is where you want to be in 2011.
>

> Stefan

James Michael DuPont
Member of Free Libre Open Source Software Kosova and Albania
flossk.org flossal.org