Manuel Reimer wrote:

> Is it possible to use it to, for example, to let
> an editor get access to OSM or is there still a "regular" OSM profile
> needed?

As Matt has said, it is necessary (and will likely always stay this way) to
create a "regular" OSM account, as it is needed for various purposes.

However, it would be nice if the OpenID signup flow was a bit smoother and a
closer integration with the OAuth stuff would be good too.

Just for demonstration purposes take the example of the embedded Potlatch 2
editor in open.mapquest.com. In order to edit, you need to have and login to
an OpenStreetMap account. For this purpose, mapquest's P2 pops up a dialog
with a link to the OAuth authorisation page. If you are not logged in (which
you obviously aren't if you don't yet have an account), you get redirected
to the login page.

Now you can click on e.g. the google logo if you want to use your google
openID. As a new user, you won't have an account associated yet, so it will
redirect you to a pre filled out signup form, which you only need to confirm
and then accept the contributor terms.

However, at this point, the nice integration breaks down a bit. You first
need verify your email address. You then need to go back to
open.mapquest.com and start the authorisation procedure again, which
requires to login again and then accept the OAuth authorisation request.

It would be nicer, if after you have accepted the contributor terms, it
would automatically accept the email address if the email address given is
known to come from a trusted OpenID provider and thus we know it is a valid
email address. Furthermore, it would possibly be nice, if you signup, coming
from an OAuth authorisation request, it would automatically grant the
authorisation process, or at least get you straight to the page to accept
the request and then redirect you back to mapquest.

In that case creating an OSM account would still require a few clicks (it is
necessary anyway to accept the CTs), but would be a seamless experience from
clicking the edit button on open.mapquest.com the first time to being able
to edit the map in Potlatch. It would thus be close to not needing a
"regular OSM account".

Kai