Looking at existing tickets related to nearby users I am finding the following:
* http://trac.openstreetmap.org/ticket/3581 about displaying active
mappers first in the list of nearby users
* http://trac.openstreetmap.org/ticket/3407 which is the popup bug
* http://trac.openstreetmap.org/ticket/436 about the user setting the
radius for the nearby threshold
* http://trac.openstreetmap.org/ticket/1425 is a variation on that,
asking the developers to expand the radius.
* http://trac.openstreetmap.org/ticket/1852 suggests the sending of
'GeoMessage' (basically what I was talking about too). There is no
discussion whatsoever on this ticket so if it is a contentious issue,
that is not reflected here.

As for the popup bug, that could be fixed by commenting out line 102
in public/javascripts/map.js. I can't be sure if this breaks anything
else, there's only a few places where it's being used as far as I can
tell: the diary entry page and the main map page. I'll create a pull
request.

Martijn

--
martijn van exel