2012/5/20 Nikhil Upadhye <nikhil.spitf...@gmail.com>:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I am Nikhil Upadhye. I will be developing plugin for JOSM for Video based
> speed limit and roadsign detection as a part of Google Summer of Code this
> year. I will be using OpenCV java bindings - JavaCV for video processing
> purpose.
> I have setup wiki page at following link
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code/2012/Video_Based_Speed_Limit_and_Road_Sign_Detector_plugin_for_JOSM
>
> I would like to request mappers to share videos which they have recorded
> for video-mapping. Variety of such videos will be required to test
> and develop plugin. So it would be great if someone could share such videos.
>
> Any suggestions regarding project are welcome.

This is a pretty cool project, but also very ambitious for the given time frame.

In case you haven't seen it, there is an earlier GSoC project, that
aimed to create a JOSM plugin that reads the street names off road
signs, so you don't have to type it [1]. I think the result is a proof
of concept in C, that works all-right under good conditions (certain
colour scheme, latin script, ...).

Another starting point could be the videomapping plugin by Matthias
Meißer. As far as I know, it aims to have a marker on the gps track
and synchronize it with the video. Then you can move the marker and
jump to the corresponding video frame (or play the video and see the
marker move).

If you need help with the josm code, you are welcome to join the mailing list!

Best, Paul