Hi,

On 06/27/12 02:52, Paul Norman wrote:
I did some work on this for print where I wanted to print 1200 DPI maps. I
found that with one exception, everything just worked if I created a
mapnik.Image of the higher resolution and used an appropriate scale factor.
https://github.com/pnorman/mapbook/blob/master/mapbook.py#L201 is the
relevant section of the code. Unfortunately I haven't had time to work on it
lately.

For my normal printing needs, I always produce SVGs with nik2img and then have them rasterized at higher resolution. Of course the cost is blocky PNG icons. TBH I'd prefer Mapnik to produce large but blocky PNGs when using a scale factor > 1 - this becomes doubly important in the case of the ShieldSymbolizer where you'd want your font to fit in the shield provided, which isn't the case with PNG shield icons and scaling at the moment.

What I would suggest is a version of osm.xml which uses SVG icons instead of
PNG icons, allowing for use at any resolution.

That would of course be ideal. Some, but not all, icons used in the standard OSM style are PNGs made from SVG already.

Bye
Frederik