The wiki page contains no examples of multipolygons with non-ways as members,
either on http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Multipolygon_Examples or
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation:multipolygon.

From: Igor Brejc [mailto:igor.br...@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, October 08, 2012 1:06 AM
To: Paul Norman
Cc: dev@openstreetmap.org
Subject: Re: [OSM-dev] Multipolygons as members of a multipolygon

On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 9:12 AM, Paul Norman <penor...@mac.com> wrote:

Personally, I’d regard any multipolygons containing non-ways as being in error.

Unfortunately handing OSM data with too strict rules usually means a lot of it
has to be disregarded. Just look at multipolygons Wiki page to see how many
exceptions are allowed because people map things differently. So given that OSM
Mapnik integration doesn't treat this as an error (it displays the names of
both the "parent" multipolygon and of its "children"), I will ignore the
relation member rather than rejecting the whole thing.

Igor