On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 03:44:01AM +0200, Hermann Kraus wrote:
> As my Google Summer of Code project I worked on improving Mapnik's text
> rendering. The most important change was adding support for complex
> scripts, but I also implemented some other nice features. You can read
> more about my work here:
> http://mapnik.org/news/2012/10/06/gsoc2012-status9/
> Build instructions are included and I would like to hear about your
> success stories, but bug reports are also welcome.
Wow, thanks a lot! I was especially waiting for the upright=""
functionality.

In an application I'm planning to use this, I would actually prefer to use
an alternate text if it is turned upside down (because I'd like to print
"<- that way" or "that way ->" depending on rotation).

Something like:
<TextSymbolizer upright="alternate"
alternate_text="[name_right]">[name_left]</TextSymbolizer>

or (maybe easier):
<TextSymbolizer upright="only_left">[name_left]</TextSymbolizer>
<TextSymbolizer upright="only_right">[name_right]</TextSymbolizer>

Do you think this would be possible?

greetings,
        Stephan
--
Seid unbequem, seid Sand, nicht Öl im Getriebe der Welt! - Günther Eich