Le samedi 13 octobre 2012 21:49:21, Frederik Ramm a écrit :
> (Frankly I am surprised
> that you thought the list was necessary, as I believed everything to be
> explained properly already.)

I'm not surprised, I've been asking for a while what validity means in the
context of multipolygon relations in OSM (on tagging list), especially in
strange border cases, but I'm still missing answers.

I also guess that since changes on the wiki are recurrent about that, I'm not
the only one unsure about what is and what isn't valid.

But maybe I failed to reach the good list, and dev is better suited for that
as the answer is far from trivial, and is indeded more complex that you seam
to imply (+include some GIS background needs).

But nothing is ever too late isn't it ?

I'll come back later with examples as a graphic is far easier to understand
than fix font ASCII art

As a starting point for the shorter definition of what validity is, I suggest
referring to the OGC standard this way :

'''
A multipolygon relation in OSM is considered valid if it can be used, without
discarding nodes or ways or part of ways to build a valid geometry as define
by the OGC Simple Feature standard
(http://www.opengeospatial.org/standards/sfs)
with the notable exception of touching inner rings (see below).
'''

--
sly (sylvain letuffe)