On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 4:17 PM, Tom Hughes <t...@compton.nu> wrote:
> Exporting raw data was never the primary purpose of the export tab - it was
> really added to address the constant request for the ability to export
> images of an area.
>
> The data export things was something I threw in because I could, and for
> most purposes people should be looking elsewhere for raw data.

Should they?

The general consensus at the BoF was that some (many?) people do first
look to the export tab for raw data, and leave confused by its
interface and limitations. It's unfortunate that for a project whose
guiding principle is open data, actually getting that data proves to
be a challenge for those not familiar with the various OSM satellite
sites. And so the thought was that the export tab is due for a
redesign and a rethink, and it should guide people interested in
exports at a particular size to the appropriate place, if not offer a
download directly. The challenge, of course, is to characterize the
various use cases, determine what the appropriate source and format is
for each case, and see how and if it is possible to build something
that can satisfy many different needs in a way that's not so complex
that it deters just as many interested people as the current interface
does.

John