Matt Amos wrote
> i'd sound a note of caution about having separate "clean" and "detailed"
> styles. we sort-of did that before with mapnik and osmarender respectively
> and... well, we don't have osmarender any more.

I doubt that having to maintain two styles was what killed osmarender. It
was a technological issue in that the renderer required  far too many
resources while being less powerful than mapnik in the end and made it
difficult to maintain the required server infrastructure.

I am hoping that client side rendering (e.g. KothicJS) with vector tiles
(geojson) will replace the purpose of osmarender one day. It should allow a
wide variety of different styles  without added server resource
requirements, including e.g. a "detailed" community style. It would also
make it much easier for people to experiment with all sorts of specific
purpose styles and showing them to the world without having to shell out for
a beefy tile rendering server to do so.

That way OSMF can host one cartographically "clean" and tightly maintained,
but fairly comprehensive bitmap style and one json vector tile style, while
covering a broad set of wishes and needs.

Kai