Hi!

I should probably jump in here and point something out: Tirex is basically
unmaintained code. Frederik Ramm and I developed Tirex originally. I wrote most
of the code, I wrote man pages and wiki documentation. There is a setup for
creating Debian/Ubuntu packages. As Open Source projects go, and for a task
this complex, Tirex is actually quite well documented and easy to install and
run. But this was three years ago! Since then nobody really feels responsible
for keeping it going. Frederik uses Tirex and it works reliable for him, but he
is probably too busy to work on Tirex beyond what he immediately needs. I don't
run any tile servers any more and have moved to other projects for which I do
feel responsible.

So the root of any problem with Tirex simply is: nobody feels responsible for
it. If there is a bug, maybe somebody will fix it, maybe not. But Open Source
software doesn't stand on its own. It needs some love, too. It needs people who
are deeply involved with the software who keep documentation up to date, who
integrate other peoples efforts into the project and who coordinate with
neighboring project maintainers. Tirex doesn't have that. And many other
software around OSM doesn't have that either. In fact a lot of software is like
that. This isn't solved by more mailing lists or better trouble ticket systems.
This is only solved by somebody taking up the torch and running with it.

Jochen
--
Jochen Topf  joc...@remote.org  http://www.remote.org/jochen/  +49-721-388298