As there are redirects I do not see an issue here and I really like the
progress which is going on!

... why not introduce a policy how to make changes to osm.org to avoid
'social' or other issues in the future?

I would suggest instead of discussion everything on the dev mailing
list, do it like it is done in the Apache Foundation per issue or per
release:

 * define: who is core committer to openstreetmap-website (or any other
project of OSM)
 * for every issue, release etc the committers vote:
 * To become a new commiter or get voting rights you have to be included
from existing committers

Once voted (or before?) one could 'inform' on the dev list that some
breaking changes could occur after deploying it. This way everyone could
join the discussion but only a subset of them decide, which speeds up
development but avoids a 'restricted horizon'.

> What's more as this was done unannounced (no, an internal issue tracker is
> not an announcement), all these applications are failing now as a surprise
> for their users.

I disagree here. Developer have to decide. osm.org should be pushed even
faster forwards. I don't think that github is "internal" as you can
easily watch the discussion and stay informed via email.

Regards,
Peter.