Varun,

The reason for the response you about spreading the word, rather than a
direct answer to your solicitation to work on a project is based on the
history OpenStreetMap has in the past with GSoC.

Every year that OSM has had GSoC, we've had many applicants. They came with
extremely good academic qualifications. They all made detailed proposals of
projects they wanted to work on, everything from routing, to rendering, to
computer vision, mobile application development, etc.

What very few of them had, to the best of my recollection, was a long
standing history of being part of the existing OpenStreetMap community.
Some didn't have an account, others signed up the day they applied.

When those applicants were accepted, the results have always been
disappointing. Some only did half the project, some a quarter, some wrote
documentation for systems that they never developed, and others never did
anything at all. It appears that the only thing these students were looking
for was some money, and they were using the Google Summer of Code program,
and the OpenStreetMap project to get it.

When we have had success with the project, it's been when we have supported
developers who already have a long standing with the community. For
example, we supported Paul Norman, who had already developed software for
OSM, and has been an editor for a number of years, as well as an active
community participant, and he worked on a core OSM program, cgimap. The
work that came out was outstanding, and the GSoC program was beneficial to
both parties (he and OSM).

On a personal level, as a potential mentor as a community member, I support
GSoC applicants who are already active members of our community, active
mappers and active developers. That is, if an applicant can show that he or
she has been editing OSM for months/years and already developing software
that is used by the OpenStreetMap community, then we should support them,
but when it is someone who is entering the project for the first time in
order to join GSoC, my suggestion to them is to become an active member of
your community. Map your local neighborhood, get involved in an existing
OSM related project and show the community that you're serious about being
part of the community. Then, when you apply to GSoC in the future, the
evaluators can see that you're committed to the project.

I don't know your particular circumstances, Varun. What is your OSM
username? How long have you been editing OSM? What existing OSM software
have you either developed or submitted patches to?

- Serge