Hi Jochen,
On 5 May 2014, at 15:16, Jochen Topf <joc...@remote.org> wrote:

> On Mo, Mai 05, 2014 at 09:52:43 -0400, Serge Wroclawski wrote:
>> MapRoulette has made a choice to try to collect as little data from
>> our users as possible. We don't require a separate login other than
>> from osm.org, we don't collect email addresses or anything else.
>
> Unfortunately when I wanted to try MapRoulette and had to do the OAuth
> thing on osm.org it asked for:
> * read your user preferences.
> * modify your user preferences.
>
> I am not sure what "user preferences" entails, but for me that sounds like
> "allow to change password" and "allow to set home location" etc. All things
> MapRoulette doesn't need to change.
>
> You might not use all these rights, but you are asking for it. Might be
> because
> there is no way to ask for less rights? Or maybe it is bad wording on OSMs
> part? But I don't give out blank cheques to everybody, so for me MapRoulette
> is
> unusable for that reason.
>
> Sorry, I highjacked your thread here, but maybe we need to think more
> fundamentally about what rights a random application would need and should
> get or not get.

The User preferences permission is for a set of key value pairs, as read and
write, which is accessible to all apps. There’s currently no way to sandbox
these preferences to a specific OpenID provider. They are not related to your
password at all, you need to use the website for that. It will allow reading
(not writing) of the data behind the following API call too:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/api/0.6/user/details (login with your normal
username and password). They are not related to your password at all, you need
to use the website for that.

Shaun