On 9/12/2016 9:56 AM, Mike N wrote:
I did use the --slim option when importing, and see the node table, but I don't see topology in a direct table view.

The ways table has node membership information. Joining the table on w1.nodes && w2.nodes and differing way IDs will find ways that share nodes. You'll need to define your requirements more precisely than this and use something more sophisticated, but this should get you started.

If I use something like the extension postgis_topology , would I still need to write a tool to populate from OSM data?

I'm not aware of any tools which import using postgis topology. You might be able to do what you want with pgrouting and osm2pgrouting, but I haven't used it myself.