On Tue, 4 Jun 2019 14:28:38 +0200
Michael Reichert <michael.reich...@geofabrik.de> wrote:

> Just to ensure that all important test conditions are known.
>
> Do you mean the weekly changesets dump from
> https://planet.openstreetmap.org/planet/changesets-latest.osm.bz2? Or
> how did you create changes.osc or where did you download it from?
> changesets-latest.osm.bz contains changeset metadata only.

changes.osc was created via osmosis. 0.92 was running w/ a max
interval of 7 days. 0.96 was running w/ a max interval of 1 day.

For reference, this is the command used to create the changeset:
osmosis --read-replication-interval workingDirectory=$WORKDIR_OSM
--simplify-change --write-xml-change changes.osc.gz

Replication url from osmosis configuration.txt:
https://planet.openstreetmap.org/replication/day/

> The tests were done with Europe only which is roughly 2/3 of the whole
> planet.

I did not realize Europe accounted for such a large portion of the OSM
data! I did notice that your test reported a 10GB memory usage for the
import.

I did not pay attention to the memory usage for 0.92 imports, but tile
expiration seems to be requiring significant memory as of 0.96. My own
test hit 22GB before I ^C'd. 21GB more than required w/o expiration.

> I will have a deeper look into this but my test machine is currently
> busy doing other work.

My own dev box is very busy for the next couple of weeks, but I can
spin something up for testing purposes if needed.