Hi

Main Page > Export*. I'm often getting the following message:

"You requested too many nodes (limit is 50000). Either request a smaller area, or use planet.osm"

To get within this limit the downloadable area has been greatly reduced as more data is added to OSM, especially in urban areas.

Is this based on server & connection speeds etc? If so has it been reviewed recently? With the increase in general computing power is there a reason this limit could not be increased?

* I'm aware of alternatives for retrieving OSM data, but I'm inquiring specifically about this, on the main page where the vast majority have their initial interaction with OSM. Error messages just deter potential contributors.

Cheers
DaveF