I'm sort of resurrecting an old thread I started last year. I find
Martijn's Overpass Python library to be very useful for small queries but I
frequently run into usage limits. I'd like to query an XML download
directly to save bandwidth and reduce consumption of Overpass resources,
but I can't find any suitable Python libraries that are WIndows-ready. Is
there something I'm missing? Has anyone else found a solution that works?

By way of example, Geoff Boeing's excellent osmnx package appears to use a
home-grown OSM parser due to lack of a cross-platform option.
https://github.com/gboeing/osmnx/blob/eebbca0ed1d59a6dfe07c90493d54c0beab45145/osmnx/utils.py#L1181

Thanks for any help