I did some more testing.
I've taken a smaller area and put everything into a tmpfs but even with
the .pbf as well as the tmp files of osmosis both being stored in ram,
the performance isn't too good. It improved to about 1500 objects/second
but this would still means that all ways (according to this [1]) need
113 hours which is way too long.

I've documented the import of a similar file in size (about 4GB) about
half a year ago, running on HDD only, which was completed in just over
11 hours.

Now this was a different machine but I can't explain, why it is that
slow. One thing caught my attention tho, osmosis seems to use only one
thread... Not sure, if that's the bottleneck

[1] https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/reports/database_statistics

Frederik Ramm: