OpenMapTiles has a tool to download the planet from all mirrors in
parallel.  Usually takes a few minutes, and it automatically verifies md5
checksum.  The tool will not use the primary planet source by default.
Lastly, the tool can also download validated extracts
from geofabrik, bbbike, and osmfr.  Internally the tool uses aria2c.

Easiest is to use it with the docker -- share current dir with docker and
save the file there. Anything after the "--" will be passed to aria2c. This
is a Linux/Mac command, but should be runnable from Windows too with minor
path fixes.

  docker run --rm -it -v $PWD:/planet openmaptiles/openmaptiles-tools
download-osm planet -- -d /planet

To run it without the actual download (test run), use --dry-run:

  docker run --rm -it openmaptiles/openmaptiles-tools download-osm planet
--dry-run

Use --help for all arguments.  See source and documentation here:
https://github.com/openmaptiles/openmaptiles-tools#multi-streamed-osm-data-downloader