On 2020-05-26 06:24, Yves wrote:
Le 26 mai 2020 03:58:50 GMT+02:00, Paul Norman via dev
<dev@openstreetmap.org> a écrit :

Performance with normal basemaps and small stylesheets should be
acceptable.

Reading this, I don't think I understand. However it makes me think of
a raster basemap plus a vector overlay for labels to solve
internationalization issue. How lightweight such an overlay could be?

You might run into problems when you have to place labels very exactly. For low zoom that is not an issue, if a place name is a bit left or right than that's no problem, but when you get to high zoom levels and want to place lets say street names, than you have to know where to place it and that means you have to know how the raster tile behind it is rendered.

Regards,
Maarten