Without at least some guidance from the board on purpose and scope I see a real danger of this turning in to yet another iteration of "lets make a top ten list of stuff that might attract devs" with more money, aka not just GSOC, thrown in as the sole change. With the boring stuff that "actually needs to be done" (tm), being ignored. it isn't as if we don't have the experience of numerous failed EWG reboots.

Examples:

- the data privacy related work that needs on the API, the website and data distribution, this is probably the best defined and scoped work that has ever existed in the history of OSM, still it has made zero progress over the last three years,

- putting a system in place to manage third party sources, permissions to use them and provide attribution in a scaleable fashion (realistically just providing the mechanics for this wont be enough, as the clean up itself has to be organized and that could easily require multiple man years of clerical work).

I'm sure there are other similar items from operations and communications that are simply never going to make any kind of list without the EWG actually being made -responsible- for clearly defined outcomes instead of a lot of hand waving that will simply gyrate to projects that result in the largest amount of back patting (iD etc).

Simon