- on notifying the caller of a failed exec: logs should be available even if
container fails between init and run. As long as the logs appear on stdout and
stderr they are fetched and amended to the activation record. This would appear
as a generic error message that’s system generated and inspection of the logs
should show the rest; your idea of stashing the error to construct a better
message could also work but I’m not sure it’s worth the added complexity.

- as I noted on a previous related thread about this implementation path, the
race on /run may require some attention from the invoker. In particular the
connection in the past was retried, but, was removed because retries violate
the invariant assumed by the invoker that after init, the container is ready.
See this pr for related patch:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk/pull/1888

-r