On Wed, Feb 14, 2018, at 10:45 AM, James Thomas wrote:
> Michele,
>
> Great work on getting an implemention working so quickly... I've been
> playing with it locally and it works perfectly.
Yes.  It is actually in the state where I can run some performance tests.
That is my next step. I want to be sure it is actually more efficient than the
"launch an executable" approach.
It should be, but better have some numbers...
Also I still have to integrate the rest of your code supporting the various
environment variables...

> I have a couple of
> questions about the error handling and exec process.
>
> 1. Notifying user when exec fails?
Hmm if the exec fails, the server restarts. Probably I should send an error
message if it fails, your right...

I want also include a "validation" step. Trying to execute once with a special
parameter asking for the version, and execute the replacement if the version is
compatible (so basically the user used the right library).

> Looking at the code, the exec to replace the binary happens after the
> `/init` HTTP response is returned. (I assume this is because the
> socket would be closed otherwise?)
> https://github.com/sciabarracom/openwhisk-runtime-go/blob/master/openwhisk/initHandler.go#L71
Actually I had some problems here... I had to Flush the request to avoid an
error when you where uploading.

> If the exec fails, the library logs out a mesage to the console but
> this won't be available to the end user IIRC. I think it's important
> to surface this error to the user. One of the main issues people face
> with serverless is the pain in debugging.
Yup, will do that. And also implement a validation.

> If someone compiles the binary for the wrong platform or makes another
> mistake building the deployment  archive, it will fail silently and
> then return the default response on run. Could we store this error
> message internally and return in the default `run` response if that
> happens?

totally agree.

> 2. Can you explain how the HTTP socket is managed when replacing the
> binary? Does it get automatically closed and then re-opened by the new
> process? I can't find enough information in the exec man page to help
> me understand what happens in this instance.
That is basically a kernel stuff. When you exec a new process, all the files
are closed.

> 2.1 If the socket does get closed and re-opened, they will be a tiny
> amount of time when the HTTP server is not available. It'd be good to
> hear from someone with more experience in the platform that there's no
> way this race condition could be triggered, i.e. a `/run` request is
> fired before HTTP service is available again.
There is a race condition yes, but here we are replacing the implementation.
I have no idea how OpenWhisk handle this but some mentioned in the discussion
the invoker can support this situation with a retry... Can someone tell us the
behaviour of the Invoker ?

> I'm looking forward to trying out this binary runtime with other languages!

Actually, to support more languages I thought there could be another way to do
that:  pipes.

We could start another process as a child and read and write in input/output to
communicate with the process.

This solution could solve the race issue and generalize the approach.