From: Michael Marth <mma...@adobe.com>
Date: Wednesday 3 May 2017 20:57
To: "dev@openwhisk.apache.org" <dev@openwhisk.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Performance tests for OpenWhisk

Markus,

Quick update: sent the below to users@infra. So far no reaction. The archive is
here [1] but Bertrand tells me only ASF member have access  - for whatever
reason.

Michael

[1]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/70999f9233dac9b416ef9dedc97c0ef196a938c05d6a407b94ba3479@%3Cusers.infra.apache.org%3E

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 2:23 PM, Michael Marth
<mma...@adobe.com<mailto:mma...@adobe.com>> wrote:
Dear Infra team,

I am enquiring on behalf of the OpenWhisk project (currently in Incubator)
[1].

We would like to periodically run performance tests on a distributed
environment (OpenWhisk typically runs on more than 1 machine). So we are
basically looking for an ability to spin up/tear down a number of (virtual)
machines and exclusively use them for a certain amount of time (so that the
VMs are not shared and the performance test results are comparable over
time).
The order of magnitude would be ~5-10 VMs for 1 hour 3 times a week.

I would like to find out if there is an ASF-supported mechanism to do that.
For example, can Infra provide such infrastructure? Or is there a cloud
provider (like Azure) that might sponsor such efforts with VMs? Or maybe
there is an established way for commercial companies that are interested in
an ASF project to sponsor (fund) such tests?

If none of the above exists, then it would also be helpful for us to get to
know how other projects run such sort of tests.

Thanks a lot!
Michael

[1]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/b66ab5b438f2db5cdc8c5f5eabece201b4ad090058fa3a9a3bd09d12@%3Cdev.openwhisk.apache.org%3E